Beacon is excited to announce that we have an open position for a Senior Housing Developer in our new California Office. Below is the full job description and contact information to apply, also found here.
Beacon Development Group is an affordable housing consulting firm that works with nonprofits and housing authorities to create high-quality multifamily communities that serve a wide range of populations including seniors, families, homeless households, and those with disabilities. Beacon was formed in 1999 and has been serving clients in the Northwest, with its primary focus on Washington State. Beacon has served 31 different clients and has helped produce over 3,300 units of housing in 72 projects with a combined value of half a billion dollars.
On January 1, 2015, Beacon became a part of the ABHOW family of companies as a separate non-profit affiliate of ABHOW’s newly created Beacon Communities. Beacon Communities will own, manage, and develop affordable housing throughout the West Coast.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF POSITION
Senior Housing Developers work with a team of staff to develop multiple affordable housing and community development projects. Senior Housing Developers work with minimal supervision in the areas of development of new project proposals, feasibility, pre-development review, project construction/rehabilitation management, and public / private financing for new and rehabilitated housing for low-income households. The Senior Housing Developer position is responsible for supporting all aspects of project development from planning to closeout, and may provide guidance and advice to Housing Developers in support of development activities. The scope of this position’s responsibility may include the following: assessment of community needs, identification and acquisition of appropriate sites, formulation of feasible housing proposals, including development and operating budgets and project schedules, assisting the sponsor in conducting community notification, preparation and review of funding applications, and coordination of internal members of the project development teams and external consultants.
REPORTS TO – Development Director
POSITION CLASSIFICATION AND LOCATION
This position is classified as exempt, full-time with benefits and location in Beacon Development Group office in Pleasanton, CA.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Feasibility Analysis
- Researches and develops information required for project concept development;
- Researches and develops realistic project budgets;
- Provides research and due diligence on funding sources and site acquisition.
- Project and Construction Management
- Manages construction contract/bid process with input from construction manager;
- Manages acquisition of properties from purchase and sale agreement to closing and escrow;
- Manages design process with clients and architects including securing all land use and building permits;
- Processes and maintains accurate and functional filing system for all construction process documents including draws, change orders, meeting minutes etc;
- Participates in regular construction meetings, ensures flow of communication throughout construction process.
3. Funding Source Development
- Maintains open and positive relationships with public funders, investors and financial institutions;
- Works with sponsors to understand loan, contract and other documents;
- Identifies appropriate funding and subsidy sources for each development project;
- Prepares clear and effective private and public funding applications;
- Negotiates funding documents with various funding sources and private investors.
4. Project close-out
- Completes appropriate reports to all funders;
- Facilitates completion of necessary cost certifications with accountants and consultants;
- Completes archiving of project files;
- Finalizes transition of all files and other materials to the client and/or management agent.
- External and Internal Development
- Initiates new project proposals with current and potential clients;
- Independently compiles and responds to Requests for Proposals;
- Independently manages and maintains effective work relations with clients and external partners;
- Provides guidance and advice to Housing Developers in support of development activities;
- Helps create and oversee client relations efforts, including relationship management with key clients;
- Represents Beacon on external committees and boards.
- Display behavior that supports the Beacon mission, vision and values.
- Understand and adhere to company, community and department programs, policies and procedures.
- Communicate effectively to perform the essential functions of the job.
Education – BA degree in finance, public administration, business, or related field (demonstrated successful experience (4 year minimum) in multi-family affordable housing development may be substituted);
- 4 years experience in affordable housing development;
- Experience working with various types of public and private financing (e.g. bank loans, bridge loans, Tax Credits, etc.);
- Working knowledge of HUD, Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program, State and /or City housing requirements;
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects;
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams;
- Demonstrated ability to independently oversee large, complex projects and effectively problem solve variety of issues that may occur;
- Experience in project and staff supervision (preferred);
- Proficient in MS Word and Excel;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Experience working in diverse groups;
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the organization.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations – Valid CA Driver’s License and willingness to travel;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
Working knowledge of HUD, Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program, State and /or City housing requirements;
Please send resume and cover letter to: BCCJobs@BeaconCommunities.org.
Beacon Development Group is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We’re committed to the highest standards of professionalism, and to maintaining a progressive, welcoming and satisfying work environment.
ABHOW HR Department
6120 Stoneridge Mall Rd. 3rd Floor
Pleasanton, CA 94588
Phone: 925-924-7224 or 1-800-222-2469, Ext. 7224